In the chaos that is race-day, there is one thing that needs to be performed calmly and deliberately. Between travel, registration, donning ones race kit, last minute bike adjustments, delivering the pit bike, eating, and warming up, there is plenty on the mind of a cyclist before toeing the line of a cyclocross race. Embrocating can provide that ever so important moment of spiritual centering that calms the nerves just enough to get your mind back into the race or it can be a contributor to that earlier mentioned chaos.
Be sure to stop, appreciate and think about your appliqué. One should always try to sit and rest the muscles of the legs, taking care to remove any water or debris that has already accumulated on the legs using a soft, damp cloth to do so.
There is even benefit in utilizing protective gloving methods to minimize unwanted transfer of warming embrocations to the eyes or nether region.
Take your time with the application. Start with a conservative amount of product, massaging it deeply into the muscles over a 3-5 minute period. Start with the calves, the tendons of the hamstrings behind the knee and then the patella. Concentrate your efforts then to the quadriceps and hamstrings muscle bellies.
On particularly cold days or if you notice low back soreness it may be beneficial to rub into the low back, top of the shoulders and neck.
Like a proper tubular gluing technique, a second layer of embrocation will provide a more productive shield from the elements and increased warmth on colder days.
Now breathe, you are embrocated, you are prepared for whatever the race or the weather may throw at you.
For removal of embrocation we typically recommend the following steps:
1. Post ride – Scour entire embrocated area with a slightly damp, soft, terry cloth towel.
2. Post ride – Spray and wipe with Mad Alchemy Unbrocation Rinse, again using a soft towel. Alternatively, baby wipes can be used during this step.
3. Shower – Shower using cooler water to start. Apply a surfactant type soap like Mad Alchemy Organic Body Wash or even dish soap on a shower pouf. Scrub off any remaining embrocation using this method.
4. Post shower – It may be necessary, depending on which embrocation you have used, to revisit step 2.
5. Bask in the afterglow – Often times, it is difficult to eliminate entirely, the warming sensation delivered by our embrocations. Enjoy this heat as a reminder of your ride.